After engineering, many candidates are looking for a good job with decent pay. But we all know that nothing is better than having a good government job. The government runs many sectors like defence, railways, roads, power, telecommunications, central engineering services, central water engineering, etc. The nature of work in this sector depends upon the engineering branch respectively. Seeing this, there is an entrance exam i.e., Engineering Service Exam (ESE) for the engineering candidates, no matter what their category is (civil, mechanical, electrical and electronics and communication) are held by the Union Public Service Commission. You can find more information about the ESE exam on BYJU’S Exam Prep.
ESE Civil Exam Pattern
For the ESE Exam, you have to fill the application form on the UPSC portal. Also, make sure to check the eligibility in terms of age limit, nationality and educational qualification. Understand the exam pattern from the following points:
- Stage I Preliminary stage- It includes paper I- general studies and engineering aptitude and paper II- engineering discipline (CE, ME, EE, E&T). The total marks in this stage are 500 marks
- Stage II Main examination- It also includes paper I and paper II, both comprising of engineering disciplines (CE, ME, EE, E&T). The total marks in this stage are 600 marks.
- Stage III Personality test- This stage includes an interview session in which the panel will try to know about the mental ability, communication skills, logical reasoning etc of the candidate. This stage constitutes 200 marks.
ESE Civil Syllabus
So the total marks are 1300 marks. Stage I paper I is an objective type of exam and is the same for all the categories. Following are the subjects that are covered in the UPSC ESE Exam for Prelims exam.
- Current issues of national and international importance relating to social, economic and industrial development
- Engineering Aptitude covering Logical reasoning and Analytical ability
- Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis
- General Principles of Design, Drawing, Importance of Safety
- Standards and Quality practices in production, construction, maintenance and services
- Basics of Energy and Environment: Conservation, Environmental pollution and degradation, Climate change, Environmental impact assessment
- Basics of Project Management
- Basics of Material Science and Engineering
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) based tools and their applications in Engineering such as networking, e-governance and technology-based education.
- Ethics and values in the engineering profession.
ESE Civil Syllabus for Prelims and Mains
If you are in the civil engineering category, the following are the subjects for stage I-paper II and stage II paper I and II. Find the details ESE Civil syllabus below.
- Building Materials:
- Solid Mechanics:
- Structural Analysis:
- Design of Steel Structures:
- Design of Concrete and Masonry structures:
- Construction Practice, Planning and Management:
- The flow of Fluids, Hydraulic Machines and Hydro Power
- Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering and Foundation Engineering
- Surveying and Geology
- Transportation Engineering
Make sure to go through all these subjects and do good study work. Build a strategy and then work according to it. This will help you to timely complete all the subjects. Solve the mock test exams for more practice and revisions of the topics. Identify your weak points and focus on them more.